Sunday, September 11, 2011

Our Creator created us in His image... thus we too are creative

I was talking to one of my sisters the other day and we were wondering where in the world our kids got their artistic abilities??? They are musicians, poets, artists, singers... Sometimes I just sit in awe of the way God creates each of his children so differently. Whether he gifted us with humor, knowledge, certain skills, or artistic abilities, we were created in His image. After all, our Father is "The Creator", I guess it makes sense that His children would be creative too! 


When I watch my children use the gifts they've been given, it brings me incredible joy. As they mature and I begin to see different talents emerge, I can't help but celebrate their individuality and the unique way each one expresses themselves. They each seem to be specifically gifted for certain tasks. 


How boring it would be if we were all alike. Variety really is the spice of life. Keith and I were watching a stomp band on youtube with our girls last night. One person began stomping out a beat, then another came on the scene and added another beat, then another, and another... soon they all had an incredible rhythm going. It was amazing! Thank goodness we don't all stomp out the same beat. 


Lately, I've been taking online courses to learn sign language. One of the things that draws me to this particular language is the fact that it's a visual, gestural language that communicates concepts without using any words. It's like painting pictures with your hands and face. And because it's not a word for word translation, it allows you freedom to communicate at a deeper level... things words can't express. When you express yourself in other ways besides just talking, whether it be through drawing, dancing, singing, decorating a room, playing an instrument, writing, signing, poetry... it seems to come from a different place; somewhere deep inside.


I love the way God invites us to share in His creativity through gifting us with certain talents. Not only does it add joy and fullness to our lives, but if we pay attention, I think we'll find ourselves connecting with our Creator as He expresses His beauty in and through us!


Here are some of my nephew's drawings. He drew each of them in less than an hour after years of not picking up a pencil and without ever having any formal training! He inspires me!



Oops! Can't seem to flip this one over!


No comments:

Post a Comment