Wednesday, August 28, 2013

My new favorite quote!

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
                          
                                                                   Albert Einstein


Each one of our children is so unique and special in their own way. I hope they see the beauty and giftedness in that. It's a tragedy that so many of us grow up comparing ourselves to others that have different talents or trying to live up to someone else's expectations, according to what they or society deems valuable. It only leads to feelings that we can never quite measuring up. We end up concluding that we're not smart enough, talented enough, or good enough. We all have different strengths and weaknesses. Variety is the spice of life. How boring if we were all the same.


Part of the beauty of our individuality is that it brings us together because we need one another. With all of my sisters, I know who to go to for what... 


There is nothing smart little Nat can not do. She seems to have the ability to juggle many things at once. That girl will plan a sister's weekends in nothing flat. She's the life of the party and always keeps everyone laughing with her wit. She has undertaken the insurmountable task of helping her older sisters stay young and hip. God help her. Natalie brings out the fun side of me like no other!


Jeannie, who is only 11 months older than me, will be the first I call when I get a new wrinkle or another gray hair. I'm like, what the heck??? We commiserate all our woes together. She's also the one I call when I move furniture around or buy new panels for the windows. We share our love for decorating. She's also the Martha Stuart of the family; she can cook and entertain like nobody's business! 

                                    
Big sis, Dawny, is my go-to spiritual guru. She's also the one I call for advice when my kids are going through something hard. Her kids are just a bit older than mine and she can always relate and calm me down. Her gentleness, patience, and compassion knows no end. She's an inspiration to me because she continues to discover more of her hidden talents. At age 50, the artist in her emerged! 

Of coarse I can't go through all the sisters and leave out our sweet Ginger. Although she's gone ahead of us to plan our family reunion in heaven, she is our bubbly, happy, positive, encouraging sister. It's impossible to be sad in her presence because she will lift you up. I still go to her in my mind and heart and feel her wrap me up in her warmth! I always go to her when I need a hug!


Why is it that we tend to look at others strengths and suddenly feel our weakness? I don't think that's what God desires for us, but part of our fallen natures here on earth. I hope to encourage my children to choose to celebrate everyone's uniqueness, including their own, and to listen to that still small voice inside of them to find their own personal genius!

No comments:

Post a Comment